minstrel: Apology

Creighton Widdis bagpiperx at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 8 14:01:40 PST 2000

I thank you all for the info on the pipes.  I was
asking as more of an A&S tourney question.  When I am
at an event, if eighty percent of the people ask me to
play (as is often the case:) I will play regardless of
the exact periodness of it.  Knowing that period style
music is pretty much all that can be played makes it
easier to think about serious entries in contests and
compossing period pieces.  The discussion about scots
culture was interesting to read.  But if I could ask
maybe one off topic question.  Since many of you are
more experienced in the sca than I perhaps you can
help.  Respond privatly if you wish.  Are we
attempting to be true to period, or the ideal and
spirit of what is seen as period?  Thank you very much
and I am sorry for the off-topic quwstion although it
can relate to music as well.

--- "M. J." <lawteller at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Greetings to all
>
>   I must apologize for the digression of the
> periodness of the highland bagpipe thread. I was
> merely trying to say that there should be some
> leeway and openmindedness about such things, as
> nothing we do, as a whole, is absolutely period. I
> did not expect the type of reply that was sent
> (I truly did not expect one at all) and was angered
> when told "if you believe in the myth of
> scottish culture, you're screwed".  I reacted when I
> should have let the matter drop as a
> difference of opinion.
>   I do not, in anyway, mean by this apology that Mr.
> Lindahl was correct. I only mean that I
> should have taken the matter up with him privately,
> or let it drop. It was wrong of me to drag you
> all in to a discussion that has no end.
>   I do not mena this as a continuation of the
> just felt that I should apologize to everyone not
> involved, but still had to put up with it.
> Indeed, I shall not comment or add anything, so
> please do not continue this.
>
> Mea Culpa,
>
> Black Corwyn MacCamie
>

> =====
> In nomine Party, et Filidh, et Spiritus Sake.
> human about problems, send
> mail to owner-minstrel at pbm.com

=====
"You don't do Zen, Zen do you!"
Berke the Stubborn AoA
Formerly known as Murdock MacLeod the Mongol
Acting Minister of Arts and Sciences
Deputy Senechal Sigelhundas
Principality of Avacal
Kingdom of AnTir