minstrel: periodness of the great highland bagpipe?

Martin Hungerford jongleur at netcon.net.au
Sat Feb 26 18:32:13 PST 2000

Hello,
  I am also a piper (GHB, SSP, Gaita).  There is surely little argument with
the periodicity of bagpipes!  More questionable is the music you play.  What
tunes/types of tunes are you using?  Much of the military piping tradition
is wildly oop (according to my source). Marches, especially, appear to be a
modern thing.   However, most of the dance music played for SCA dances in my
area (brales, galliards, pavans, some playford, some others) are playable on
the GHB.

Martin Juggler
MSOB
Stormhold, Lochac, West (for now)