minstrel: periodness of the great highland bagpipe?

EoganOg at aol.com EoganOg at aol.com
Sat Feb 26 06:00:26 PST 2000

In a message dated 2/26/00 2:13:36 AM Eastern Standard Time,
bagpiperx at yahoo.com writes:

>      I am looking for some help.  I am a bagpiper in
>  the mundane world and have been in the SCA for about a
>  year now.  I have been informed both ways to the
>  periodness of the pipes and the music played.  can
>  anyone help me?  Are they period?  What was played?
>  Thank you very much for the attention and help

We had a piper write an article in the Motley Crew, newsletter for the
Militant Society of Bards, a few years ago on the Highland Bagpipes.  And I
also seem to remember reading something on the history of the pipes in a past
issue of Scottish Life magazine.  I'll see if I can dig up anything on those
and post what I find here later on (getting ready to head out of town for the
day).

I'll also pose the question to the Albanach mailing list (medieval Scotland
discussion).  www.egroups.com/group/albanach

BTW--it's always bagpipes, never bagpipe.  Any bag intrument with more than
one pipe woudl use the plural. ;-)  Trivia for the day....

Aye,
Eogan Og

Tighearn Eoghan Og mac Labhrainn
Order of the Pearl * Order of the Phoenix Eye
Militant Society of Bards