minstrel: periodness of the great highland bagpipe?

B.Zantingh(aka Bernadette) bzantingh at bulkley.net
Sat Feb 26 00:46:35 PST 2000

Message from Murdoch the Mongol

>Periodness of the great highland bagpipe?
> Greetings all:
>      I am looking for some help.  I am a bagpiper in
> the mundane world and have been in the SCA for about a
> year now.  I have been informed both ways to the
> periodness of the pipes and the music played.  can
> anyone help me?  Are they period?  What was played?
> Thank you very much for the attention and help

Greetings Murdoch!

Rather than be concerned about the "periodness" of the great highland pipes,
I would be more concerned about the "persona-ness" of it....a Mongolian
bagpipe player? (lol)

In all seriousness, though, check out the website below for Medieval &
Renaissance instruments.  There is a section on bagpipes, with further links
to other pipe sites.  One of the fiddlers in my Saturday night jam band also
plays the great pipes.  He especially likes to play them at 3 am on the dock
by the lake (a rather long Fiddle Camp story)  It is the next instrument on
MY list of "learn to play" and I am even willing to break my "no instruments
involving lips" rule!

http://www.s-hamilton.k12.ia.us/antiqua/instrumt.html

Paix toujours,

Bernadette Mareschal de Valleé
Shire of Tir Bannog, Northern Region of An Tir