minstrel: Ecce Macdonaldus Senex

Jessica Tiffin jessica at beattie.uct.ac.za
Thu Feb 10 12:49:07 PST 2000

greetings, minstrels all.

I emerge from lurk mode with an off-chance sort of query.  Our vocal
group is currently working on a rather hysterical arrangement of "Old
Macdonald Had A Farm," translated into Latin and with a pretty
complex four-part harmony.  (Sorry if this makes the purists wince,
we do mostly authentic stuff, promise, this is just light relief.  It
goes down very well with the Shire... well, _you_ try singing "cum
moo moo hic" with a straight face... ).  The first line is "Ecce
Macdonaldus senex qui fundum habent, E I E I O"; the sopranos keep
the well-known tune, although with some very strange timing in the
version we have; the other 3 parts have some rather modern-sounding
harmonies.

Problem is, the song was taught to us by an ex Shire member who wrote
it out from memory, and who didn't give us an author or source. The
only info I have is that it's an SCA-generated piece, and the
ex-member hailed from Lochac,  so this is very much a stab in the
dark.  Has anyone ever come across anything like this piece?  does
anyone know who wrote it?  does anyone have an authoritative version?
 I really don't like singing anything that (a) we cannot attribute,
and (b) is very much a from-memory and slightly problematical version
(the timing is very odd).

hoping someone might recognise this,
Jehanne

Lady Jehanne de Huguenin  *  Seneschal, Shire of Adamastor, Cape Town
(Jessica Tiffin, University of Cape Town)
Sable, three owls rising argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.
http://users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant/stidings.htm