minstrel: Stonehenge getting paved over?

Green Dragon greendragon at priest.com
Fri Jan 28 09:26:18 PST 2000

I got this on one of the list I belong to.  If you are not interested, I opologize for sending it to you.
                                                            Green Dragon

Hallo. I found out something today which has horrified me and I want as many
people as possible to know
about it. The Ministry of Department and Industry are intending on turning
the A303 into a dual carriage way by creating what they call a 'cut
and cover' road (??). The A303 is the road that goes to Stonehenge. Their
plans mean the destruction of 5 scheduled monument in the
Stonehenge landscape, including the neolithic long barrow closest to
Stonehenge, a number of bronze age round barrows and a Bronze Age field
system. As the area is a World Heritage site it is an issue which should be
dealt with internationally but the Department of Transport (along with
the Department of the Environment and the MOD) have decared it a LOCAL ISSUE
only and are only consulted people living in the direct
locality. The whole thing is being politically carefully stage managed in
order to receive least publicity and least media attention and least outcry.
I am intending on achieving all of these three aims - I am arranging media
attention and a petition and am ensuring that as many people as
possible know about this. In a few days there will be a link on the home
page that will take you to a site with all of the full details and a
petition. I
would be grateful for all possible support. Please forward this email to all
your friends so we can create as much awareness as possible. Please
email me asap with your view. Thank you. luv Moon. please forward your
replies to sunhorsemoonhorse at hotmail.com