minstrel: Dompe?

cynthia j ley cley at juno.com
Wed Jan 12 13:55:22 PST 2000

I've seen it also spelled dumpe. One of William Byrd's is "Lady Carey's
Dumpe." It's gorgeous, in the minor mode, and does sound quite dancelike.
This one was written for the virginal. As far as I've researched it, they
were intended as solo keyboard pieces, but I haven't researched it very
far. I believe they were songs written in memory of someone.

Hope that helps some.

					Arlys