minstrel: Caroling

Joshua Badgley fsjlb4 at aurora.alaska.edu
Thu Dec 25 16:51:01 PST 1997

I was wondering if anyone out there had any information on the origin of
Christams caroling.  I guessed that it was probably out of period, seeing
as how most carols come from around the 18th and 19th centuries.  However,
I have heard of medieval celebrations and festivities that might have been
an early forerunner.  Are these things totally unconnected or does
caroling have its roots in medieval europe?

Logan of Winter's Gate