minstrel: Wildwood Christmas

Ted Hewitt brogoose at pe.net
Fri Dec 19 22:51:39 PST 1997

'Twas the night before Christmas and all through the camp
the northwind was blowing, the snow was all damp.
I was at sentry in greatcoat and cap,
the troops were all huddled in hopes of a nap.
The rifles were stacked by the campfire with care
in case of an injun, a wildcat or bear.

When all of a sudden there arose such a sound
I readied my weapon and racked in a round.
When what to my wondering eyes should appear
but a wooden travois pulled by eight panting mule deer.
With a little old driver so brazen and bold
I jumped when I saw him in spite of the cold.

He was dressed in all furs to the top of his head
the horns on his headdress caused me to dread.
His white hair was hanging right down to his neck
I shouldered my weapon and said, "What the heck!"
I pulled on the trigger, my first shot went wide
he danced and he capered and then tried to hide.

He let out a shout as I gave the alarm,
"Stop with yor shootin', I mean ye no harm!"
His words were unheeded as lead filled the air
He started to run and he started to swear.
He dodged all the bullets, he ran tree to tree
as quick as a Blackfoot, Apache or Cree.

He leapt to the travois and let out a whistle
and away they all flew through a barrage of missles.
I couldn't but wonder what Custer, our Colonel
would write in his log or report in his journal,
for I heard him exclaim as he got the Hell outta Dodge,
"I've got TOYS to deliver, down at the SIOUX lodge!"

Edwin Little Owl
Edwin, Full-time Idealist, Part-time Realist
<brogoose at pe.net>