minstrel: Where to find Tapes?

Brett and Karen Williams brettwi at ix.netcom.com
Wed Nov 19 08:43:09 PST 1997

Scott Henderson wrote:

>         Greetings,
>
>         What is the best source for SCA Music? I often here of Music
>         that "We purchased at the last Event" or "Found while I was
>         cleaning". As someone not able to go to alot of events I
>         was curious as to where one might find SCA music?
>
>         Hagis MacCraig - - - -"Always a lookin forr anotherr catch"

I'm afraid that it's best to ask-- word of mouth! If you're looking for
a particular song, the collective mind of the Minstrel list is going to
be a good bet! ;)

For example, I'm the publications officer of Caid's Circle of Bards.
About ten years ago, Caid's bardic folk got together and made a set of
tapes and songbooks of the songs a number of people had in their
repetoire. These tapes and books are Kingdom projects, not private.

This translates into five sixty-minute tapes, and lyric books for each
tape. The performances range the complete spectrum of spine-tingling to
teeth-clenching with the vast majority in the upper range of average;
the production values are what I would call 'filk' (tape hiss and the
occasional microphone pop, that sort of thing). They are a valuable
source for SCA popular music. The songbooks are *very* nicely done.

Anyone interested in pursuing this is welcome to contact me by private
email.

ciorstan