minstrel: Couple of more songs

Brett and Karen Williams brettwi at ix.netcom.com
Tue Nov 18 08:13:12 PST 1997

CAB wrote:

>                       Couple of more songs                         11/18/97
>
> Okay here are couple of more songs - that I am hoping someone might have the
> lyrics to.
>
> First Song:
>
> Chorus
> Steel and mail and guilded crossbow, Feather of he ancient windbird
> Wild as wonder, Tall as starlight
> Lords of earth and lords of fire, Like the love they desire
> Lords of earth and lords of fire, Like the love they desire

"Elf Glade" by Meg Davis, again, from "Captain Jack and the Mermaid".
Substitute "life" for 'like', and that probably should be spelled
'gilded'.

> Song 2
>
> Chorus
> So crash the glass down, Move with the tide
> Young friends and old wiskey, Never ending in sight
> Crash the glass down, The Giant will rise with the moon

"Giant", written by the late and much lamented Stan Rogers, from an
album called "Fogarty's Cove". He is also the source for the SCA's most
popular arrangement for the Archie Fisher song "Witch of the
West-Mer-Lands" (which is found on an old Folkways album called "Man
with a Rhyme", incidentally). Likewise in copyright and mundane. 'Bras
d'Or' in the song "Giant" refers to a place in Canada. "Fogarty's Cove"
also has a good rendition of "Maid on the Shore" and a bunch of
wonderful original songs. If you haven't run into Stan Rogers yet, I
envy you your new discovery! ;)

> Song 3
> First Verse
> Do you remember what we promised when we met, my love?
> We promised there would be no reason to regret, my love.
> But news has come to town that ____ flus up and down
> That another you have found to lie with you, my love
>
> Thanks for all your help in trying to find these lyrics.
>
> Crystal
> Stargate, Ansteorra.

"My Love"

Do you remember what we promised when we met, my love
There would never be a reason for regret, my love
Bad news has come to town, bad news flies up and down
That another you have found to lie with you, my love

If the wind could whisper by that it's not true, my love
And the seas could rise and cry that it's not you, my love
If the hills could only say that you were on your way
Then happy I would stay and be with you, my love

Every night I light a light for your return, my love
But the morning light's a lesson to be learned, my love
That I who learned to trust have been betrayed and must
Forever more be cursed for wanting you, my love

Do you remember what we promised when we met, my love
There would never be a reason for regret, my love
But I who learned to trust have been betrayed and must
Forever more be cursed for wanting you, my love

Traditional song of unknown provenance (probably Victorian, though)
arranged in two-part harmony and band by Steeleye Span, on their album
"Sails of Silver", an otherwise mostly forgettable effort in their very
long career. Matty Prior just announced that she would be leaving the
band after 28 years-- the only member left from the first lineup aside
from Gay Woods, who reappeared after a 'vacation' of some 26 years...

ciorstan