minstrel: Song Lyrics

Brett and Karen Williams brettwi at ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 13 08:48:05 PST 1997

Monica Cellio wrote:

> The song is a modern folk song called "Captain Jack and the Mermaid" by
> Meg Davis.  She recorded it on an album of the same title.  I don't know
> if the lyrics have been published anywhere.
>
> Ellisif

I picked up a copy of a nice songbook of all the music and lyrics for
the Off Centaur production of Meg Davis' "Captain Jack and the Mermaid"
at an Estrella a number of years back, from Pegasus. At any rate, I
believe the tape (and possibly the songbook) is still in print through
Firebird Arts & Music in Portland, OR, who has a website one can find
with a good search engine. Random Factors in Torrance also carries
filk, fannish and some SCA music as well, and their website is also
findable by search engine.

Jane Mailander wrote a hysterically funny parody of this song that I
would love to see the words to eventually...

If memory serves there are four pieces on CJatM that are sorta kinda
medievaloid. The rest are ruthlessly mundane, though well-written and
well performed.

ciorstan