minstrel: Cantigas de Santa Maria

Rex Deaver rdeaver at swbell.net
Tue Oct 14 19:31:04 PDT 1997

At 11:45 AM 10/14/97 PDT, Efenwealt Wystle wrote:
>I need opinions.

What luck!  I just happen to have some, fresh in today, marked down and
ready to move! :):)

>I'd like to do more songs appropriate to my late 12th century
>Anglo-Norman persona and I have a real fondness for the Cantigas de
>Santa Maria (mid 13c Spain).
<snip>

Your chain of assumption is stretching pretty thin...but then who cares?
Unless you are entering a contest.   A minstrel can have many tools in their
bag, mix and match them with gay abandon, damn the documentation, full speed
ahead! :):)

> I've also found a few of the
>tunes show up in trouvere and troubador songs, so I've also assumed they
>wandered geographically as well.

This is solid documentation that the tunes were known in France...probably
cross pollinated via Provencal, but who can guess which way?  But the
lyrics...there's a different thing altogether.  Tunes may wander freely
where language is a barrier to lyrics.

All of the above is, of course, IMO.

Mathurin

Rex Deaver (SCA Mathurin Kerbusso) -- rdeaver at swbell.net
Why not light a candle AND curse the darkness?