minstrel: Cantigas de Santa Maria

Fred (Flieg) Hollander flieg at socrates.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Oct 14 12:27:53 PDT 1997

Flieg here -- just my two pennies worth.

At 11:45 AM 10/14/97 PDT, Efenwealt Wystle wrote:
>I need opinions.
>
>I'd like to do more songs appropriate to my late 12th century
>Anglo-Norman persona and I have a real fondness for the Cantigas de
>Santa Maria (mid 13c Spain). I've worked on the assumption that since
>the Cantigas were folk songs, many of them may have existed before King
>Alfonso saw fit to have them written down.  I've also found a few of the
>tunes show up in trouvere and troubador songs, so I've also assumed they
>wandered geographically as well. Are these assumptions workable?

    Since we're talking about less than a century, they might be. But
then again, maybe not. Certainly the Normans moved around a lot, so the
geographical stretch shouldn't be a problem.

> Am I stretching my "documentation" a little to thin?

   As "documentation": yes.  As "justification": no.

> Am I just being paranoid about this authenticity thing?

   Definitely.

> Should I just get a life?

   Do you need another one?  You've got two already!   :)

   *   *   *    Frederick of Holland, MSCA, OP, etc.
  *|* *|* *|*   flieg at socrates.berkeley.edu
  (((Flieg Hollander, Chemistry Dept., U.C. Berkeley)))