minstrel: Cantigas de Santa Maria

Efenwealt Wystle efen at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 14 11:45:33 PDT 1997

I need opinions.

I'd like to do more songs appropriate to my late 12th century
Anglo-Norman persona and I have a real fondness for the Cantigas de
Santa Maria (mid 13c Spain). I've worked on the assumption that since
the Cantigas were folk songs, many of them may have existed before King
Alfonso saw fit to have them written down.  I've also found a few of the
tunes show up in trouvere and troubador songs, so I've also assumed they
wandered geographically as well. Are these assumptions workable? Am I
stretching my "documentation" a little to thin?  Am I just being
paranoid about this authenticity thing? Should I just get a life?

Thanks for your advice!
efen

Lord Efenwealt Wystle (aka Scott F. Vaughan) efen at hotmail.com
Militant Society of Bards
Merchant, Mirth-Maker, Minstrel by trade, and a Fool in my
spare time (Funny, I seem to have an awful lot of spare time.)
Elvegastly, Windmaster, Atlantian