minstrel: Period Instruments

Robin Hayes rhayes at powerup.com.au
Mon Sep 22 12:40:56 PDT 1997

At 09:08 21/09/97 -0500, Rex Deaver wrote:
>At 06:30 PM 9/20/97 +1000, Martin Hungerford wrote:
>
>>Mathurin,
>>        how big are your hands? If you can doodle on a G whistle would
>>you be able to reach the holes on a low octave one!
>
>The G is a tight squeeze but not uncomfortable...and hey, it fits in a pouch
>without sticking out.  Since I haven't ever seen a low octave whistle, let
>alone played one, I guess I will have to find out:):)

SHAW make a beautiful one under 44 cm long. Tapered in the "Bone" style -
wider at the fipple end - of apparently nickel silver with th ewooden plug
at the fipple end. It has a sweet quieter tone (than the cylindrical ones),
supple to play, but intended for slwoer quieter type playing.

SHAW make whistles in all the "standard" keys.

My only argument with the SHAW and other similar construction types, is
that they can rend to be "breath hungry" and often have a "breathy" timbre,
but that can work well in the right circumsatnces.

One of the tricks of playing the high G and F whistles, is learning how to
control your fingering. While some claim that they are "children" whistles,
the F in particular is often popular with talented whistle players to
demonstrate technique mastery.

The SHAW whistles, were available from Lark in the Morning (USA), but are
also now available in Australia.

Robin

The Wise doth not oft dispute the Foolishness of the Fool,
 But the Fool doth oft abuse the Wisdom of the Wise.
rhayes at powerup.com.au  http://www.powerup.com.au/~rhayes/
The Virtual Fooles Troupe: http://www.powerup.com.au/~rhayes/vfoolshm.htm
 Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be charged at my usual rate of
AU$10/Mbyte + AU$30/15 minutes or part thereof - Minimum Charge AU$40:
sending such e-mail is acceptance of these terms. Terms and conditions may
be changed without notice. An international recovery fee of AU$100 may be
charged on 90 day outstanding accounts.