minstrel: Period Instruments

Robin Hayes rhayes at powerup.com.au
Sun Sep 21 00:12:47 PDT 1997

At 18:30 20/09/97 +1000, Martin Hungerford wrote:
>>Robin, I am very much interested in finding out more about these big fipple
>>flutes.  My favorite doodling instrument is a Generation "G" ( mostly
<SNIP>
>>Mathurin
>
>Mathurin,
>        how big are your hands? If you can doodle on a G whistle would
>you be able to reach the holes on a low octave one! I don't wish to be
>offensive but I can no longer fit my fingers onto a G whistle and have
>trouble playing the low D which a friend has.

As I understand, a low G is between the Low D and the normal "Irish
Whistle" D. The (normally easily available) High G is above that. I have
one of those cuties... They make a great solo instrument for showing off,
but can be a bit shrill.

An extra low G would probably have to have keys. I can reach the holes on
the low C & D. Took a couple of months of stretching the fingers to be
comfortable and build up speed and strength. Funnily enough, the stretch
between the 2 bottom holes on the Overton low D is greater than the similar
stretch on the (whole tone) lower pitched Howard low C.

Robin
The Wise doth not oft dispute the Foolishness of the Fool,
 But the Fool doth oft abuse the Wisdom of the Wise.
rhayes at powerup.com.au  http://www.powerup.com.au/~rhayes/
The Virtual Fooles Troupe: http://www.powerup.com.au/~rhayes/vfoolshm.htm
 Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be charged at my usual rate of
AU$10/Mbyte + AU$30/15 minutes or part thereof - Minimum Charge AU$40:
sending such e-mail is acceptance of these terms. Terms and conditions may
be changed without notice. An international recovery fee of AU$100 may be
charged on 90 day outstanding accounts.