minstrel: Beowabbit!

Paul Sleigh/Eric fruitbat at macquarie.matra.com.au
Fri Sep 19 02:07:08 PDT 1997

OK, I fed the name into a good Australian search engine,
<www.anzwers.com.au>, and got this reference, in what is apparently a
history of the very early SCA, at
<http://www.inmet.com/~justin/felding.asvii.html>:

Then Daniel de Tankard, in his last service as Master of Carolingia's
minstrels and players, led us in fine songs, particularly new verses of
"The Pope, He Leads a Glorious Life", describing notables of the Kingdom
and the Barony. Duke Cariadoc encountered Eugenie de Bruges in another
brilliant exchange of puns; and he, recalling her discovery of a heretofore
unknown Chaucerian text, the Krummhorn fragment, read to the company
another poem: The Saga of Beowabbit, as written by Foulgut, Dux belli of
the Maryland Militia, as true a tale as ever told of heroes and good
rulers, and merrier than most.

     Of Beowabbit well-beloved
     Meadhall dweller, long-sworded,
     Cariadoc, Duke, well-meaded,
     Told long-winded glorious saga;
     True barbarians, fierce, well-meaning,
     Broke up Meadhall, then and now.

So we know who wrote it, now, and we have the first half-dozen lines.  Alta
Vista <www.altavista.com> found only that entry as well, as did Excite and
Yahoo.  The venerable (and probably long-dead) WebCrawler, ancestor of them
all, found nothing.

InfoSeek and Lycos turned up two extra references, both of them containing
the same information: a list of Rialto articles on pastries and subtleties,
which mentioned in passing:

     40:  Sweet  pastry to be  served hot  is standard. For  cold just
remember the bottom crust should be a little  heavier  than usual  so  the
liquid doesn't soak through while  it  waits  for Beowabbit  to be
recited...(You only wait a cold sweet; you  only wait a cold ANYTHING. Hot
things HOT.)

OK, one other chance.  A long-nosed bandicoot of my acquaintance told me
about a search engine called SavvySearch, which basically runs searches on
a bunch of other engines and gives you the results in one go.  I tried it.
It didn't seem to know any more than all the others, however.

Sorry, folks - looks like Beowabbit is one of the half a dozen things in
the world NOT on the Web.  If someone has an electronic copy, maybe they'll
offer to mail it around, but I think I can state categorically that it's
not on any publicly-known web page in the world.

: Fruitbat, Computer Guru but Net.Novice :

So, in addition to being a greedy, satanic terrorist, I am
also destroying the morals of a generation of school
children.  In cartooning terms, that's called a home run.  It
will be hard to improve on that next month.
                         -- Scott Adams, _Dilbert_ cartoonist

http://macquarie.matra.com.au/~fruitbat

CB1! iv++ u-~ c1/1/0 r~ f+ h- p+ o+(*) s- d- y+ BDB