minstrel: Period Instruments

Rex Deaver rdeaver at swbell.net
Thu Sep 18 05:22:00 PDT 1997

At 10:32 PM 9/17/97 -0400, Liz Herman/cozit wrote:
>Ok, I've been reading this list for a while now, and I'm getting  more
>interested in period music.  I play flute, piano and a little guitar and
>recorder.

You already are way ahead of many.  With the set of instruments you already
play, you have the flexibility to a) play these in period fashion and/or b)
learn any period instrument very easily.

> I'd love to learn and play on a more period instrument

If you have any talent at it, make one.  There are lots of good books on
making instruments, especially flutes and fipple pipes because they are so
basic and simple.  If not, do you know a wood craftsman in your area?  Talk
to them about it, see if they have any interest in such a project, make
barter or buy arrangements.

But first...go on a research binge.  You will be surprised to find which
instruments are period, which ones aren't, it isn't always as the Common
Wisdom would have it.  Also, you may indeed discover an instrument you
hadn't thought of and have great interest in.  Worthwhile, even if you end
up back exactly where you started.

Mathurin

Rex Deaver (SCA Mathurin Kerbusso) -- rdeaver at swbell.net
Why not light a candle AND curse the darkness?