minstrel: Getting kicked out of a bardic circle

Ed Hopkins Ed.Hopkins at MCI.Com
Wed Sep 17 08:58:00 PDT 1997

Sionnach wrote, in part:
> [...] I've never been kicked out of a bardic circle because I
> brought my guitar.
> [...] I play a hammered dulcimer. [...]
>     Our dumbeks also travel well, [...]

I venture to guess that you didn't get kicked out of a bardic
circle because you brought your hammered dulcimer, either.
That leaves the doumbek.  Or have you also brought some other
instrument that you didn't mention?

On another mailing list, various people have asserted that kazoos
didn't exist in the Period, but others have pointed out that they
do sound a lot like krumhorns.  Would a kazoo get anyone thrown
out of a bardic circle?

-- Alfredus Scurra