minstrel: musical Instruments

Wes Will wwill at siu.edu
Wed Sep 17 06:20:30 PDT 1997

>You can always swallow your fear of new things and try building an
>instrument. That way you get to learn how the music is made in addition to
>how it is played! you'd be surprised how easy it is to build some
>instruments.

Yeah, right.

It ain't fear.

In the immortal words of Boss Murdoch, my high school shop teacher, he of
the only-three-fingers-left-original-length, "Boy, wood HATES you.  Go to
metals shop next term.  Or electronics.  Stay out of my class."

So I'm building a forge in my back yard, 25 years later.  And I'm a
computer geek by profession.  With a degree in electronics.  It isn't
always "fear of new things".  Sometimes you need some natural talent.  With
wood in particular, I have NONE.  I have never been the least artistically
inclined.  I can draft, but not sketch or draw.  Mechanical gimcrackery
does not confound me.  Gears and wheels and pulleys and motors are no
mystery.  A calligraphy pen is.  "It don't go where I push it."

I've found my artistic medium, though, finally.  Pumpkin.  I can carve a
mean jack o'lantern

Eoin