minstrel: Re: instruments

William and Scianna Augustine Peregrine.Ent at worldnet.att.net
Mon Sep 15 22:07:07 PDT 1997

Setting aside arguments about period vs OOP instruments: The guitar,
either nylon or steel-stringed, remains my instrument of choice for
camping events. It's portable, easy to tune, and capable of a wide range
of sounds, styles, dynamics and tunings. It can be forgiving to a novice
player and exquisite in the hands of a master. And I've never been
kicked out of a bardic circle because I brought my guitar.
	For sites where authenticity is de rigeur, I play a hammered dulcimer.
I've taken it camping with no problems, but admittedly I do spend extra
energy ensuring that it's safely set up, then safely stored away, and
guarded from careless or overenthusiastic partiers.
	Our dumbeks also travel well, and offer instant admittance (and great
seats) at the many Caidan belly-dancing circles.
--Sionnach