minstrel: Re:musical Instruments

Efenwealt Wystle efen at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 16 11:14:56 PDT 1997

I happen to play guitar (albeit not well) and yes, I do my fair share of
OOP material, but I do plenty of Historical and SCA stuff too. I think
it works just fine for accompaniment. I can pluck it like a lute. I can
arpeggiate chords like you might on a harp. I can strum it like a
zither. I can re-tune it to add a nice drone. I think people hear too
much of the "ka-chung-ka-chung" of folk artisits and associate that with
the instrument rather than the artist.

I envy anyone who has the means to purchase a fine period reproduction
instrument of any kind. I commend anyone with the patience to tune a
harp, dulcimer, or other multi-stringed instrument. I wonder about the
sanity of anyone bringing a well made lute to a camping event. They
start around $1,000 and can cost more than $2,500 and are pretty
fragile. I'd be crazy to camp with a viola-da-gamba too. I'd probably
break it. Sometimes we sacrifice authenticity for practicallity. This
isn't an excuse, just a fact. I think striving for perfection is
admirable, but we can't all afford that. (Morgan Wolfinger wrote the "I
want to be in period but haven't got the money blues").

I know nobody is intentionally attacking us guitar players and folk
musicians, but there are certain advantages to guitars. They are very
affordable, very versatile, portable, easily replaced, easy to tune, not
real sensitive to weather and can take lots of abuse. I only paid $130
for my Alvarez, and I love it.

There's the beef
efen