minstrel: Dark Lady

SUZANNE_POWELL SUZANNE_POWELL at aspentec.com
Tue Sep 16 06:44:07 PDT 1997

Greetings Good Gentles!

I recently got the words to this song from a friend. Would any of you happen
to know who wrote it?

The Dark Lady

A fierce one-eyed man named Baron LeBone
A meaner pirate has never been known
And he sailed on the Dark Lady
A ship strong and sound with a perilous crew
And high on the mast the skull and bones flew
Fleet and swift was the Dark Lady

And every night the Baron would drink a toast.
He'd say, "Here's to our lovely Lady host!"
"My one true love." -- "Here! Here!" the crew replied.
And the Dark Lady sighed.

A rich Spanish galleon was spotted one night,
The Dark Lady's crew prepared for the fight,
Clash of Steel -- No Spaniards survived it.
Except for the maiden with dark eyes so bold
Found in the hull with the jewels and the gold
LeBone laughed as he took her for ransom.

And every night the Baron would drink a toast.
He'd say, "Here's to our lovely Lady host!"
"My one true love." -- "Here! Here!" the crew replied.
And the Dark Lady sighed.

The girl Carlotta was a beauty quite rare,
With each passing night LeBone couldn't bear
His empty bed ... He brought her to it.
The baron soon found he felt more than desire,
His love for her grew and his heart filled with fire,
He proclaimed they would marry.

That night the Baron drank with jubilee.
He said, "Here's to my lovely bride to be!"
"My one true love." -- "Here! Here!" the crew replied.
And the Dark Lady cried.

The very next night a storm brewed at sea,
The Dark Lady saw her chance to be free
Of her rival, the beauty Carlotta.
The ship steered herself to the heart of the gale,
And threw the maiden out over the rail,
Sweet revenge on an unfaithful lover.

That night the Lady drank a toast.
She said, "Here's to your lovely Lady host!"
"Your one true love..." No voices replied.
And the Dark Lady smiled.

And now any night when a storm fills the sky,
They say a ghost ship sails out of its eye.
Fleet and swift is the Dark Lady.
A ship strong and sound with a perilous crew,
And high on the mast the skull and bones flew,
While the captain gazes out to sea.

And every night the Baron must drink a toast.
He says, "Here's to our lovely Lady host!"
"My one true love." -- "Here! Here!" the ghost crew replies,
And the Dark Lady sighs.

** Lady Suzanne de la Ferte, AoA      **
** Scribe and Illuminator             **
** Stargate, Ansteorra                **
** suzanne.powell at aspentech.com       **