minstrel: Instruments

Alexandria Long longalex at pirates.Armstrong.EDU
Mon Sep 15 10:13:46 PDT 1997

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, Scott Henderson wrote:

> 	Greetings,
> 	I have a question about instruments, please forgive if this sounds
> 	a bit tenderfoot but heregoes........
> 	I would like to know players preferencess about there instruments.
> 	Solo, accompianing, fun, whatever you want to throw out there..
> 	I am a singer that plays guitar and am looking for a more "period"
> 	tool to use. Citern is what I am thinking about but wanted all
> 	of the input I can find.
> 	I am curious of what you Lasses and Ladies use...........
>
> 	the Scot.........

If you're wanting to stick to strings, I'm happy with almost anything but
a mundane guitar---unless, of course, you're playing lute songs. Period
lute music is very common and is played by many guitar players. Makes for
very pleasant entertainment, so don't rush out and pawn it. As for
accompanying voices and other instruments, a more period instrument is
preferable, unless you can play in a period-sounding style (this includes
improvisation). That's really hard for a lot of people to do, though, I've
only heard one person that can (my dad), and he's been playing
proffesionally for nearly 25 years.
Besides, branching out to other instruments is fun...been doing it for
years!

---Ceara ni Neill,House Barra