minstrel: Does anyone have any Renaissance drinking songs?

Joshua Kronengold mneme at dorsai.org
Mon Sep 15 06:56:28 PDT 1997

I've a friend (she's the one CC'd in the header line) who is looking
for Renaissance drinking songs (preferably sheet music); does anyone
have leads to or ideas on how to find what she's looking for (hell,
I'm curious myself -- I don't do NEARLY enough real period stuff; just
some Elizabethan lute songs).  Here's her description on what she's
looking for.
	would you happen to have any sheet music for Renaissance
drinking songs -- preferably in English, and even more preferably in
four parts (SATB, even). my madrigal group is currently looking for
new music, and I've been wanting to try some drinking songs for quite
a while now, mainly because they're funny and should be fairly simple
to learn. (we don't have much of an audience at school, but if we
started singing about ale, the collegiate interest might be piqued.)
    not that this necessarily needs to be confined to drinking songs.
(mildly) raunchy songs will be gladly accepted; anything funny would
be great. no filk though -- we stick to period stuff since we call
ourselves the Renaissance Singers. (also, how am I going to keep the
people who like modern choral music -- aaaaack!! yuck! -- at bay, if I
suddenly bring in 20th century stuff myself?).

--
mneme at dorsai.org	Joshua Kronengold		|\      _,,,--,,_  ,)
---^----"Unix is easy.  Just like a cross between	/,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'