minstrel: Cynaguan Sampler

Joshua Badgley fsjlb4 at aurora.alaska.edu
Mon Sep 1 19:50:24 PDT 1997

I have recently found a tape called 'Cynaguan Sampler' by my friend, the
owner.  Upon this tape are many songs, none of which have a name or author
to them.  I would ask two things:  A) If you know the actual name and/or
author of any of these songs, please tell me, and B) If you are the author
or know them, what sort of permission is given to sing these songs at
bardics?  I do not plan to sing any of them for money or compensation of
any kind (They pay enough just enduring my singing), but I don't want to
step on any toes (or copyrights) and I would like to give credit where
credit is due.  The songs are (To the best of my knowledge):

Cynaguan Battle Song (Shieldman and pikeman and archers all...)
The Bard with His Foot In His Mouth (Listen now, while I tell you a story)
In the Field of Battle (In the hall, of my lord's holding...)
Boozin in the Glen (How many foes must a warrior mow down...)
Blow, Winds Blow (There stands three trumpeters on a hill...)
How Shall I Honor My Lady?(If I were a Fair-tongued minstrel)
The Elf and the Child (She came to my woods, one midsummer Eve)
Burn That Saxon Village Down ([I can't make out the first verse])
I Owe My Soul to the Armourer's Store (Some people say a knight is made
                                 out of metal....)
Here's To Our Lovers And Here's To Our Friends ([Here's to our lovers...)
Whatever Happened to the Feelings? (Looking back upon my memories...)
Hearken Back to the Night Before (The Night Before)
O Cynagua (French and English trans.) (O Cynagua...)
The Land of the Swan (This World I've wandered over...)
Viking Lover (I'm a sturdy Viking lad of hairy chest and chin....)
Boot to the Head [SCA version] (Here's a little song we wrote...)
The Magic Goes Away (As the fire is dying...)

If it is of interest, I am up in Winter's Gate in the Principality of
Oertha.

Please respond

Logan of Winter's Gate