minstrel: looking for lyrics...

Heather Rose Jones hrjones at uclink.berkeley.edu
Sun Aug 31 19:33:45 PDT 1997

On Sat, 23 Aug 1997, Charissa wrote:

> Ok, I've exausted all the web sources I know, and still can't find this
> song that a friend wants sung at her wedding.  We have the melody, but
> no lyrics.  (Well, we did find some info on it, but they didn't have the
> lyrics, and it was a Ku Klux Klan page... I was afraid to ask them for
> it...)
> Anyway, it's out of period, but I know not where else to turn...
> The song is called Give Me Your Hand, or Tabhair Dom do Lamh, by Rory
> Dall O Cathain.  Can anyonehelp me???

I tried looking for this in the UC Berkeley library without being entirely
successful. I was able to find a few references to a Rory Dall O Cathain
who _may_ be the one in question here. He was an Irish harper, active in
the early 17th century, originally from Londonderry but moved to Scotland
(for political reasons). At least one of his tunes was written down --
"Rory Dall's Port", in the Straloch MS (ca. 1630) -- and Robert Burns
later wrote lyrics to this tune. I can find no reference to any _lyrics_
by Rory Dall either being recorded or surviving -- he seems to have been
an instrumentalist only. If he is the person associated with the above
song, it's likely that the tune is by him and the lyrics written later to
fit it. (And if so, then the tune, at least, is _near_ period.) But I
wasn't able to turn anything up on any lyrics that fit the bill.

Tangwystyl verch Morgant Glasvryn