minstrel: Something interesting. LONG!

Sat Aug 23 11:53:11 PDT 1997

On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, Melvin, Stephen R. wrote:

> 	For others, I would ask, "What pointers do you have for the brand new
> 'baby' bards as we sometimes call them?  Those who are past the level

I prefer "pre-minstrels," but that's just because I like the taste of my
tongue in my cheek!
	I think all of Rathflaed's suggestions were good, and thouhgt I'd
add my own bit.  I think one good advantage about making the target of the
song anonymous is that now it can apply to more than just the target.
Some one will nopt say, "Oh, that song's about King ______, it doesn't
apply to me."  Instead, if the song is about someone who does what King
____ was guilty of, anyone else who so offends may glean the same message.
	If the song itself can be a paragon of what the target is not, it
also helps.  For instance, the only song I wrote that was in response to a
political situation was "It's Only A Game."  It was written in response to
a monarch who was taking himself WAAAYYYY too seriously for his own good.
There were also several other "pointy hats" in the area guilty of the same
sin.  Ten I came to notice that a lot of the populous in general were
taking this game too seriously, and I wrote a song encompassing all of
that.
	Rather than have the song say "King ____  is a doody-head with a
big ego," I told in each verse of a situation where someone was or had the
chance to take themselves too seriously, and then then what to do about it
(answer, sing my chorus!).  But to really get my silly point across, I put
the whole thing to the tune of "If I Only had a Brain," from the Wizard of
Oz.  Reason?  It is impossible to take yourself seriously while singing
it.
	At first I only sung it at "below the salt" events when no
point-hats were present, to sort of gain the local support for my
mini-crusade.  Then I began singing it in mixed company, with the
disclaimer "I didn't really write this about one person (a lie) but a type
of person.  If you think this song is about you, the problem lies not with
me."  I recieved no negative responses (in my opinion this was because the
song is a happy and silly one, and not accusatory in tone), and after a
while stopped giving it the disclaimer.  I now get frequent requests for
the song (it appeared in an issue of the Pennsic Independant in Pennsic
XXV), and the most interesting thing is that one of the squires of the
king who originally inspired the song has learned it!
	I guess the old adage applies that you catch more flies with
honey.
Aye,
Eogan