minstrel: Something interesting.

Wed Aug 20 11:14:08 PDT 1997

On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, Heather Rose Jones wrote:

> Much of the popular fantasy about "bardic immunity" comes from the
> relatively high social status of the bard in early medieval society in
> Ireland and Wales (where the term "bard" actually has meaning). But even
>
> Tangwystyl verch Morgant Glasvryn
> (one of those diletante nobly-born poets who doesn't depend on patronage)

Interestingly enough, I have discovered that (in Celtic Ireland, at least)
what we think of as "Bards" were actually called "ollamhs," with this
class being divided into seanachaid and file (forgive any mispellings).
The term "bard" actually seemed to apply to uneducated popular
entertainers.  I can dig up documentation tonight if you like.
Aye,
Eogan
(not being picky at all, just putting forth an interesting tid-bit)