minstrel: Something interesting.

Wed Aug 20 11:05:04 PDT 1997

On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, mary k cummings wrote:

> me...  It works.  You are a Bard, a minstral, a troubador.  By mideival
> law you are protected from retaliation by even the crown.  Just be as sure
>
> -Kathleen

I haven't noticed this to be the case, especially with British laws.
During the Anglo-Norman period at least (roughly 1100-1400), I can quote
you several laws that promised harsh and cruel punishments (ranging from
merely branidn to execution) for any minstrel, fool, vagabond or bard that
was not specifically liscensed by a town, noble, king, etc.  This was done
precicely so that these important political officials could keep these
minstrels under check.
I can quote you these laws if you like (I have them at home, so I can't
give them to you right now.)
Aye,
Eogan