minstrel: Something interesting.

Martin Hungerford jongleur at netcon.net.au
Tue Aug 19 17:09:09 PDT 1997

it
>> > is our right to sing out without fear of retaliation.
>>
>> Hardly. It is our gift to sing. It is our obligation to accept
>> responsibility and the consequences for our actions.
>>
>> Sionnach
>>

>I agree with Sionnach on this one.  It is our privlidge to sing.  It is
>our responsibility to be accountable.  This does not mean we avoid social
>commentary.  On the contrary...  In my opinion, it is the responsibility
>of the Bard to point out injustice and dishonor, as it is our pleasure to
>show off the just and honorable.  Yes, it is frightening to sing of
>dishonor in front of those whose actions inspired us to write, but believe
>me...  It works.  You are a Bard, a minstral, a troubador.  By mideival
>law you are protected from retaliation by even the crown.  Just be as sure
>as ever you may be that what you sing of is true.  That you know as much
>of 'the whole story' as you can.  Put your name to your words, that
>acusations of petty cowardace do not draw attention from the moral of the
>song.  And, if in retrospect, or as details emergy, you find you have
>err'd, have the courage to apologize.  In as public a manor as you sang
>initially.  Welcome to the world of the Bard. ;)
>
>-Kathleen

Sometime ago on this list there was a good discusion about the "our right
to sing out without fear of retaliation." The result of which was that it
was more commonly our right to be hanged for being common vagabonds.

In this case, the minstrel is not a common vagabond, nor a minstrel (by
SCA definition - we are all nobles) and therefore, in my view, is not
behaving honourably in concealling their identity.

S/He is copying more the behaviour of the satirists, most of whose work
is now remembered as nursery rhyme.

Martin o' Lyos

Martin Hungerford, aka Martin Jongleur,
aka Martin Ashford,
aka Martin o' Lyos (called the Juggler) OL.

email:jongleur at netcon.net.au