minstrel: Something interesting.

mary k cummings mkcummin at unm.edu
Tue Aug 19 14:18:59 PDT 1997

On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, William and Scianna Augustine wrote:

> Fruitbat wrote:
>
> > There's nothing at all wrong with anonymity; we are minstrels, remember: it
> > is our right to sing out without fear of retaliation.
>
> Hardly. It is our gift to sing. It is our obligation to accept
> responsibility and the consequences for our actions.
>
> Sionnach

I agree with Sionnach on this one.  It is our privlidge to sing.  It is
our responsibility to be accountable.  This does not mean we avoid social
commentary.  On the contrary...  In my opinion, it is the responsibility
of the Bard to point out injustice and dishonor, as it is our pleasure to
show off the just and honorable.  Yes, it is frightening to sing of
dishonor in front of those whose actions inspired us to write, but believe
me...  It works.  You are a Bard, a minstral, a troubador.  By mideival
law you are protected from retaliation by even the crown.  Just be as sure
as ever you may be that what you sing of is true.  That you know as much
of 'the whole story' as you can.  Put your name to your words, that
acusations of petty cowardace do not draw attention from the moral of the
song.  And, if in retrospect, or as details emergy, you find you have
err'd, have the courage to apologize.  In as public a manor as you sang
initially.  Welcome to the world of the Bard. ;)

-Kathleen