minstrel: Further to the Elizabethan Songbook ...

Fiona P. bilby at matra.com.au
Tue Aug 19 06:16:09 PDT 1997

At 10:47 PM -0400 16/8/97, Greg Lindahl wrote:
>> "The only known manuscript of David Melville's _Booke of Roundels (1612)_
>> is in Australia ..."
>
>This ms has been republished and it's in my annnotated bibliography.
>However, it's basically useless, as I think it was mostly copied from
>Ravenscroft. There is an earlier manuscript from 1580 with
>many overlapping rounds, and 100% of Melvill's rounds match
>Ravenscroft's versions instead of Lant's earlier versions.

OK, so is the Ravenscrof version available in ms format somewhere ...?  (I
could easily look myself, but as there are so many knowledgable people out
there ...)

>Bantock, G, Anderton, H. Orsmond, eds. <cite>The Melvill Book of
>Roundels</cite>. London 1916 and New York 1972.<p>
>
>http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/ravenscroft/

Many many thanks ...

Fyrean ...

Though Love and all his pleasure are but toyes,
They shorten tedious nights.

			-- Thomas Campian (1567 - 1620)