minstrel: the earliest Anglo-Saxon music

Monica Cellio mjc at telerama.lm.com
Thu Aug 7 15:18:17 PDT 1997

Duh, missed the "secular" until just after sending that message.  Not
much out there that's early (I don't think I know of any from years with
3 digits).  There's a collection of all known (secular only?) English
songs from before 1400 that's pretty good; I think one of the two editors
is named Harrison.  The earliest of these is 12th century, I think, so still
not as early as you were probably looking for.

Ellisif