minstrel: the earliest Anglo-Saxon music

Fiona P. bilby at rosebay.matra.com.au
Thu Aug 7 06:25:19 PDT 1997

I'm looking for the earliest possible secular music in our "period".  I'm
looking for either period things talking about music, actual scores, 20thC
things writing about this period of music and attempts to create it, and
any recordings of this music.  I want to be able to either perform existing
music (if it exists) or give my best shot at re-creating the period style.

Is anyone able to help me here?

Many thanks ...

Fyrean Macneil ...

Though Love and all his pleasure are but toyes,
They shorten tedious nights.

			-- Thomas Campian (1567 - 1620)