minstrel: Other men of Harlech

Ed Hopkins Ed.Hopkins at MCI.Com
Wed Aug 6 11:44:00 PDT 1997

Tangwystyl verch Morgant Glasvryn opined, parenthetically:
> (You have never lived until you've heard a late-night bardic circle
> belting out Men of Harlech, not only in multipart harmony, but with no two
> people singing the same set of words!)

In an effort to spread life, I offer a song that I wrote a few
years ago whilst trying to curry favor with a certain King
(whose name escapes me at the moment).  Unfortunately, I based
the song on my childhood memory of "Men of Harlech", which I
taught myself without knowing ":|" or "dal segno"; therefore,
my song lacks a second verse.

 Many roles has Rhys of Harlech.
 He does not have time to frolic.
 He must be a workaholic
 At all this at once:

 First, a royal squire,
 Then, a royal choir,
 Then, anon, the King's champyon,
 And yet did he continue to strive higher!

 Now he dwells within the palace
 As ou-r new _Rex_Orientalis_.
 How didst thou accomplish all this
 In just forty months?