minstrel: Lyrics search: "Woad"

Heather Rose Jones hrjones at uclink.berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 6 09:19:59 PDT 1997

On Wed, 6 Aug 1997 GARNER at ADMIN.HNC.EDU wrote:

> I used to know a song that was sung by a local (San Francisco area) group
> called Oak, Ash & Thorn.  The song was in their "Drink-along Song Book"
> which I have managed to lose.  The song, "Woad" was sung to the tune of
> "Men of Harlech."  I only remember the following, which I believe is the
> last half of the song:

You've got parts of the two verses mixed together. Rearranged, it goes:

What's the use of wearing braces?
Hats or spats or shoes with laces?
Vests or pants you buy in places
Down on Brompton road?

What's the use of shirts of cotton?
Studs that always get forgotten?
These affairs are simply rotten
Better far is woad!

> 	Woad's the stuff to show men;
> 	Woad to scare your foe-men;
> 	Boil it to a brilliant blue,
> 	And smear it on your legs and your ab-DO-men --
> 	Ancient Britons never hit on
> 	Anything as good a Woad to fit on
> 	Necks & knees & where you sit on...
> 		Taylors, be you blowed.

> 	Romans came across the Channel
> 	All dressed up in tin and flannel;
> 	Half a pint of woad per man'll
> 		clothe us more than these.
>
> 	Saxons, you can keep your britches --
> 	Building beds for bugs with stitches.

Follow the alliteration: "Saxons, you may save your stitches, building
beds for bugs in britches"

> 	We have woad to clothe us, which is
> 		not a nest for fleas.

Romans keep your armor!
Saxons, your pyjamas! [note: this rhymes better with a British accent!]
Hairy coats
Were made for goats
Gorillas, yaks, retriever dogs, and llamas!

March on Snowdon with your woad on
Never mind if you get rained or snowed on
Never need a button sewed on
Bottoms up to woad!

(You have never lived until you've heard a late-night bardic circle
belting out Men of Harlech, not only in multipart harmony, but with no two
people singing the same set of words!)

Tangwystyl verch Morgant Glasvryn
(provision of these lyrics may not be assumed to constitute approval of
their performance at any particular venue)