minstrel: Humorous song

CONSORTMUS at aol.com CONSORTMUS at aol.com
Tue Aug 5 17:49:50 PDT 1997

Here's a song I found in a  collection  published in the late 1800's.

JOHNNY SANDS

A man whose name was Johnny Sands had married Betty Hague,
and though she brought him gold and lands, she proved a terrible plague;
for oh! she was a scolding wife, full of caprice and whim,
he said that he was tired of life, and she was tired of him.
And she was tired of him, and she was tired of him.
Says he,"Then I will drown myself - the river runs below."
Says she, "Pray do, you silly elf, I wished it long ago."
Says he, "upon the brink I'll stand, do you run down the hill,
and push me in with all your might,
Says she, "My love, I will,"
Says she, "My love, I will,"
Says she,  "My love, I will."

For fear that I should courage lack and try to save my life,
Pray tie my hands behind my back,  "I will," replied his wife.
She tied them fast as you may think, and when securely done,
"Now stand" she says "upon the brink, and I'll prepare to run.
And I'll prepare to run,
And I'll prepare to run."
All down the hill his loving bride now ran with all her force
to push him in; he stepped aside, and she fell in, of course.
Now splashing, dashing like a fish, "Oh save me, Johnny Sands!"
"I can't my dear, tho' much I wish, for you have tied my hands,
for you have tied my hands,
for you have tied my hands."