minstrel: Re: Knowne World Bardic Circle/ Atlantian Royal..

Robin Hayes rhayes at powerup.com.au
Thu Jul 31 14:25:03 PDT 1997

At 08:01 31/07/97 +1000, Martin Hungerford wrote:
<SNIP>
>>'Tis not the STORY that maketh the audience "want more all the time",
>>'tis the TELLER.
>>
>>Any garbage can be made to keep people listening. Take TV/Radio
>>Commercials...
>>
>>;-)
>>
>>Robin
>Robin,
>     the fact that these 'garbages' use proper technique should not hide
>the basics. People tend to want to know what happened next. The teller,
>at that level, is immaterial.
>
>Martin :)
>
>Martin Hungerford, aka Martin Jongleur,
>aka Martin Ashford,
>aka Martin o' Lyos (called the Juggler) OL.

True. And technique (many bits appropriate to the types of performance this
list is interested in) can be studied in many ways.

Take the Artist Neil Diamond. Listen to the whole Hot August Night (I
think, I don't have it to hand and it is some years since I listened to it
about 50 times...) LP/CD and you will discover how he(or whoever the
artist/designer who laid out the performance was) manipulates the audience
emotions by different pace, etc. Much of the technique can be utilised for
our purposes.

As to modern attention span being only a few minutes, I normaly strongly
agree, but very few people ever walked out of his concert I believe...

:-)

Robin

The Wise doth not oft dispute the Foolishness of the Fool,
 But the Fool doth oft abuse the Wisdom of the Wise.
rhayes at powerup.com.au  http://www.powerup.com.au/~rhayes/
The Virtual Fooles Troupe: http://www.powerup.com.au/~rhayes/vfoolshm.htm