minstrel: Bardic Challenge at Pennsic

Ed Hopkins Ed.Hopkins at MCI.Com
Wed Jul 30 12:52:00 PDT 1997

Forwarded by Alfredo Scurra from yet another email list:

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 14:33:53 -0400
From: rmhowe <magnusm at ncsu.edu>
To: atlantia at atlantia.sca.org
Subject: Re: [Mid] Bardic Challenge at Pennsic

Forwarded By M.Magnus Malleus from another email list:
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 21:50:11 +0000
From: "William T. Fleming" <gorp at erols.com>
To: sca-middle at dnaco.net
Subject: [Mid] Bardic Challenge at Pennsic

My heartfelt salutations to the most worthy and noble bards of
the Known World,

        I, Ruaidhri an Cu, the King's Bardic Champion of the
East, have placed before the bards of the Midrealm and their
allies a challenge. As the fighters of their kingdoms match their
strength and valor against the peerless warriors of the East
Kingdom and our allies, let their bards come and match wits with
myself and those of my comrades who will join me.

        After some discussion with other bards from various
kingdoms, I propose the following format for three contests,
which shall take place on three separate occasions.

        Bards shall pass from the first round of each contest by
popular acclaim and from the second to the third round by
receiving the vote of at least one of five judges (chosen before
each contest begins). The victor of the third round shall be
chosen by general approbation of the audience.

   1) The first contest shall be in music.

       A) In the first round, each bard shall perform a piece of period
          vocal or instrumental music.
       B) In the second round, each bard shall perform an original piece
          of vocal or instrumental music in period style.
       C) In the third round, each bard shall perform a piece of
          improvised vocal or instrumental music.

   2) The second contest shall be in spoken word.
       A) In the first round, each bard shall perform a period tale or
          poem.
       B) In the second round, each bard shall perform an original tale
          or poem in period style.
       C) In the third round, each bard shall perform an improvised tale
          or poem.

   3) The third contest shall be in performance.
       A) In the first round, each bard shall perform a skit, dance,
          juggling act, etc.
       B) In the second round, each bard shall perform a different skit,
          dance, juggling act, etc.
       C) In the third round, each bard shall perform still one more
           different skit, dance, juggling act, etc.

        If any of you have any comments or querries, please
contact me before August 7th. What needs to yet be settled is
where and when to hold the competitions.

Your friend and servant,

Ruaidhri an Cu
From:  "William T. Fleming" <gorp at erols.com>