minstrel: Canaries (the dances, not the birds)

Monica Cellio mjc at telerama.lm.com
Thu Jul 24 13:25:13 PDT 1997

I believe there are several different reconstructions floating around.
An article by Del appeared in the Letter of Dance (#24 I think); his
reconstruction used music that was in 3/4 and was approximately 1 second
per measure.  (This is from memory, but that's the ballpark.)  My music
group (Ensemble Rigodon) is providing the music for the Caroso-style
ball at Pennsic, and Mara told us to do the 6/4 music she sent us at
the pace of a slow galliard.  I've never seen the latter reconstruction,
so I don't know who did the work or what it's based on.  However, she
told me that it was quite likely that the dance would in fact be done
at that ball, so anyone who wants to check it out should show up at the
barn Wednesday of war week from 2:30 to 4.  (There are, of course,
other reasons to show up too: Caroso balls are a lot of fun both to
watch and to dance at, and I hear the music'll be pretty good. :-) )

Del will be at Pennsic this year; I can't recall if he's teaching a class
on canaries.  Check the schedule when you get there if you're going, I
guess.

Ellisif