minstrel: Music question

Monica Cellio mjc at telerama.lm.com
Fri Jul 18 11:15:20 PDT 1997

> To which Constance adds:
> y'know, it sounds so much like the WWII story (and forgive me, my 20th
> century history is much worse than my medieval history...) about the
> Americans and the Germans at the ?Battle of the Bulge? on Christmas
> eve...

World War I.  The British commander, Ian Calhoun, was court-martialed
and sentenced to death (but then spared by the king).  I don't know what
battle it was or which year; it was somewhere in France.  (John McCutcheon
wrote a wonderful song about it called "Christmas in the Trenches".)
I wonder if someone has taken that basic story and transmuted it into
a perioid setting as is so often done in the SCA?

Monica