minstrel: Music question

Katherine Penney Katherine_Penney at ccm.jf.intel.com
Fri Jul 18 10:49:00 PDT 1997

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Rex Deaver wrote:
> About a mile away, The Bretons started hearing their enemies singing "a
> national song".  They fell silent, astounded, as the music was well known to
> them.  Soon they began singing back the refrain.  It was the Scots turn to
> fall silent.
     and Tangwystl wrote:
Frankly, it sounds like a "friend of a friend" legend to me -- sort of
like the stories about explorers running across tribes in northern Africa
that spoke Welsh (always at third-hand report).

To which Constance adds:
y'know, it sounds so much like the WWII story (and forgive me, my 20th
century history is much worse than my medieval history...) about the
Americans and the Germans at the ?Battle of the Bulge? on Christmas
eve...didn't one hear the other singing Silent Night and commence to put
down their arms and gather together..? :)

Constance