minstrel: Music question

Rex Deaver rdeaver at cgro.com
Fri Jul 18 07:15:12 PDT 1997

Ran across a story in "Legends And Romances Of Brittany".  Seems a British
army landed in Brittany.  The Bretons and French of course responded.  A
company from Lower Brittany (Treguier, Saint-Pol de Leon)  were sent against
a detachment of Scottish Highlanders.

About a mile away, The Bretons started hearing their enemies singing "a
national song".  They fell silent, astounded, as the music was well known to
them.  Soon they began singing back the refrain.  It was the Scots turn to
fall silent.

When the two forces reached each other, their respective officers gave the
order to fire.  But the orders were given, by tradition, "in the same
language", and the soldiers on both sides froze.  Then they all dropped
their weapons and rushed together, clapping backs and shaking hands in a
great display of Celtic brotherhood.

According to Lewis Spence, the music bears a resemblance to "The Garb of Old
Gaul" a tune obviously known to him but not to me:):)

My question is, can anyone from these clues point me to the song/songs in
Gaelic and/or Breton that might be the ones in the story?  Or the tune?

Mathurin

----
Rex Deaver
rdeaver at cgro.com