minstrel: Copyright Mundane Law as of 1997

Degan of Coventry jjf100 at ccia.com
Wed Jun 25 16:54:10 PDT 1997

  Subject: Re: minstrel: Copyright Mundane Law as of 1997
 Date: Tuesday, June 24, 1997 2:21 PM

It Was Written

> > > Another trick used is sometimes called the "poor man's
> copyright'.
> > > Seal
> > > your work well inside of an envelope and mail it to yourself.
> DONT
> > > open it
> > > when you get it but store the whole envelope with its postage
> > > proof
> > > that the work was in a complete form by such and such a day.
> >
> >  If you do this, send it to yourself registered mail, then don't
> open
> > it. This will set a date of creation.
> >
> You might want to make two or three copies that way.  I had to open
> one of mine: it was the *only* copy of the words I could lay my
> hands
> on.  :}
>
> Dame Rowan

Greetings

    You may wish to consult a lawyer first before you have to depend on
being able to prove you have copywrite on a work.  My communications law
instructor at Penn State told us never try to copywrite a work by sending
it to yourself in the mail.  He said it will never hold up in court. He did
not elaborate.

 Degan of Coventry
jjf100 at ccia.com