minstrel: Copyright Mundane Law as of 1997

Tara Seides tara at atg.eb.com
Tue Jun 24 09:30:22 PDT 1997

My understanding of this (and this may have been the source of some of
the confusion) is that as soon as you write it or record it, it's
copywritten.  However, you cannot make a claim on it, that is, enforce
it if someone has violated it until you register it.

Suppose I write a song.  As soon as I write it and put my name on it, it
is copywritten.  Suppose someone then hears it, reads it, whatever and
uses it without permission.  This is a violation of my copywrite.  If I
want to do anything about it, I THEN have to get the copywrite
registered so that I can make them give me money or whatever.

You do not have to register it before someone violates it, but you do
have to register it before you take action if someone does.

Again, this is my understanding of copywrites.  I am NOT a lawyer.  I
don't even play one on TV.  I could be wrong.  It's happened before.
Well, once or twice.  :-D

Marsali MacLiammoir				mka Tara Seides
of House Drachenholz				marsali at geocities.com
Barony of Calafia, Caid				San Diego, CA

House Drachenholz now has a web page!  Come visit us!
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/8178/index.html

The opinions expressed are mine! MINE, do ya hear?