minstrel: Who are fierd?

Ed Hopkins Ed.Hopkins at MCI.Com
Wed May 21 10:59:00 PDT 1997

> I hear the fierd in their armor, impatient in the dawn

I think in the old days, "fierd" meant "our army" as opposed
to the enemy forces which were here.  I don't hear the term used
too much anymore.  Does it still have that meaning?

-- Alfredo
Him tha ellenrof  andswarode,         |Him, the strength-famed   answered,
wlanc Wedera leod,  word aefter spraec|wlonk Geat leader,  word after spoke
heard under helme:  "We synt Higelaces|hard under helm:  "We are Hygelac's
beodgeneatas;  Beowulf is min nama.   |table-companions;  Beowulf is my name.
Wille ic asecgan  sunu Healfdenes,    |I wish to tell  Healfdene's son,
maerum theodne  min aerende,          |the famous prince,  my errand,
aldre thinum,  gif he us geunnan wile |thy lord,  if he will not begrudge us,
thaet we hine swa godne  gretan moton.|that we, with his good self,  may speak."