minstrel: A marketing survey

Heather Rose Jones hrjones at uclink.berkeley.edu
Tue May 20 10:23:23 PDT 1997

Here's the deal -- a friend of mine is beginning to put together plans to
record an album of my music (primarily with other people performing it).
So I'm taking a survey of the prospective market(s).

What material of mine would instantly cause you to buy a cd of my music?

Assuming that you have already decided to buy such a cd, what material (or
what sort of material) would you want/expect to find on it?

(Just for sake of reference, people may have encountered my compositions
under the names "Heather Rose Jones", "Keridwen o'r Mynydd Gwyrdd", or my
current SCA name.)

When considering projects like this, I feel a constant tension between
catering to the "Black Widows" and "Welsh History" crowd, and focussing on
material that I feel shows my range as a composer. My friend the producer
is going to lean towards sales potential as the bottom line, so it would
be nice if I could convince him that the more "sophisticated" songs are
just as much of a selling point. (But don't lie about it just to make me
happy.)

Respond privately if you want (or if you think the list would find this
boring).

Tangwystyl verch Morgant Glasvryn
hrjones at uclink.berkeley.edu