minstrel: Fwd: Re: Bagpipes of the world

Martin Hungerford jongleur at netcon.net.au
Sun May 18 20:59:29 PDT 1997

>I was at a folksing last night with an Estonian man who brought a single
>drone bagpipe made with the skin of a critter like a raccoon. It was a
>bellows driven thing that had the chanter coming out of the mouth and the
>drone coming out of the other end. When he played it he almost looked like
>he was doing the fingering for the raccoon. It was really neat. Bet its at
>least traditional, dont know if its period, but its 'image' certainly is.

Its traditional all right! I once saw a set of Polish (sp? from Poland)
called Gertrude. These were bellows driven using a goat. The air went in
one fore-leg hole, a drone came out of the other (the drone went over the
player's shoulder), while the chanter came out of a stock carved to
resemble a goat's head (inc horns) blowing the chanter. The hind legs
were tied off and a mirror inserted under the tail. It looked as if the
goat was hugging the player, and turning its head over its shoulder to
blow! Very cute indeed!

This is Martin Hungerford, aka Martin Jongleur,

"They're not pagans, Frank. Everyone's wearing clothes"
                                        Major Burns of M*A*S*H